Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller as a SCSI Controller

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Fri Jul 17 23:08:12 CDT 2020

On 7/17/20 7:07 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
> Yes, if you define it that way then clearly I agree.  The thing is
> that in most people's definition, "drive failure" means "the drive
> is a door stop".

Ya....  I've had too many "but the drive isn't a brick ... how could it
be the failure" experiences to use that as my benchmark.  Now, if the
drive is not doing what it's supposed to do in any (reproducible)
manner, I consider it a failure.  Well ... almost any reproducible manner.

> And in fact, hard read errors are normal.  Every drive has a spec for
> the probability of that happening, and given the per-sector failure
> probability and the sector count, the probability of SOME sector
> failing to read when you read the whole drive is nowadays somewhere
> around 1.

Ya.  That's where the reproducibility of any given failure comes into play.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die