Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller as a SCSI Controller

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jul 15 03:16:42 CDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:47:11AM -0700, Ali via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> Is there any reason a Smart Array controller can't be used as a simple SCSI
> controller? I.E. No array, just using it to drive a tape library? TIA!

In general, hardware RAID controllers cannot be used as ordinary controllers.
There is no good use case for them in 2020, which is why they're all suddenly
quite cheap. Much cheaper in fact than non-RAID controllers, IME, which irks me
as I'm in the market for a plain SAS HBA for use with ZFS.