About to dump a bunch of Compaq SCSI disk caddies (and disks)

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jul 6 16:54:10 CDT 2020

On 7/3/20 3:24 AM, Johan Helsingius via cctalk wrote:
> Hi!

Hi,

> I have a box full of Compaq SCSI server disk caddies (with 9.1G
> disks in them). Feels silly to dump them into e-waste recycling,
> but there probably isn't much point in shipping them very far either
> (I am in Amsterdam).

/Which/ caddie are they?  Can we see a picture of them?  Both the front
visible from outside of the system and the connector(s).

I'm aware of two major families of caddies (near) that time.  The older
type with the drive on a sled with a card edge connector, and the newer
type with a frame that clams around the drive (these may have only been
SCA).  I believe the older card edge type used 68-pin UW, 50-pin
SCSI-II, and maybe SCA connectors.  I think the old card edge type also
came in 1/2 height and 1/3 height.  (It might have been the same sled
with different lids.

I suspect that there may be an interested party or three in the sleds.
Depending on the health of the drives, there may be interested parties
for them too.

If I needed one of those drives, I'd be willing to pay $1 / GB plus
shipping and handling if they were known to be good.  (If I needed them)
I would buy them sight unseen if you ran SpinRite level 2 on the drives
and said they passed.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die