UUCP on macOS / *BSD

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Jul 1 22:37:45 CDT 2020

On 7/1/20 9:19 PM, Chris Hanson wrote:
> macOS switched to launchd from inetd a very long time ago. If you're
> going to use macOS as a UUCP node you'll want to enable the
> com.apple.uucp service, which will ensure uucico is run for you by the
> system.

I understand what you're saying, and why you're saying it.  But, it's
not germane to how I'm installing, much less using UUCP on macOS.

1)  I'm sending UUCP traffic /through/ SSH's STDIO.  The calling machine
initiates an outbound SSH connection to the called machine and launches
uucico (-r0) inside of said SSH connection.  There is no need for
anything listening for TCP connections for UUCP.

2)  The macOS system is initiating outbound ""calls to push and / or
pull files from the neighbor (term?) node.

> That's a macOS difference, not a BSD one. I don't *think* you need to
> re-add any setuid or setgid bits, but I could be mistaken.

I most definitely did have to re-add setuid and setgid bits.

> It's been a very long time since I've actually used UUCP. If they do
> need to be made setuid or setgid, that sounds like a bug.

Then it may very well be a bug.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that I'm one of the very few people
trying to use UUCP in contemporary macOS.

> In macOS 10.14-10.15 these files are indeed covered by system integrity
> protection, I think that's probably a bug since they need to be edited
> by a sysadmin to use UUCP.

Possibly.

I don't mind needing to /temporarily/ disable SIP.  But I can see how
the need to do so is probably a bug or design flaw.

> PS - Here's the UUCP source for recent macOS:
> https://opensource.apple.com/source/uucp/uucp-12/

ACK

--
Grant. . . .