cctalk Digest, Vol 64, Issue 3

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 16:41:34 CST 2020

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 23:30, Guy Sotomayor via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Yes.  We first started with Mach 3.0 build MK58.  We did our final
> fork at MK68.  We made some *significant* changes from what CMU
> had (things like changing mach messages from IPC to RPC) and a
> whole lot of work in the area of scheduling.

Very interesting. If you are allowed to, you should blog about this
somewhere -- it is historic stuff.

> Yes, a lot of things were based on Mach. One OS that you're forgetting
> is OS X. That is based upon Mach 2.5.

Well, firstly, no, I wasn't. I didn't mention OS X, or macOS as it's
called now, because it's based on NeXTstep. It's a later version of
the same OS.

Secondly, AIUI, NeXTstep used Mach 2.5 but one of the changes in Mac
OS X 1.0 is that they moved to Mach 3 and updated the userland from
BSD 4.4-Lite to FreeBSD then-current, hiring Jordan Hubbard to do much
of that work..

> > MkLinux didn't get very far, either, did it?
> >
> I think that was the original Linux port for PPC.

It was, and I think only on Apple hardware. There were a few dev
builds and then it disappeared, IIRC.

[*Checkes*]

Yup, OldWorld-ROM NuBus PowerMacs, and later OldWorld PCI PowerMacs --
but later Linux supported PCI Macs directly.

There were apparently 4 "developer releases", an R1 and an unfinished
R2. Supplanted by Mac OS X, but apparently the Mach work really helped
to get NeXTstep and "Rhapsody" bootstrapped on PowerMacs.