HP 9000 Series 360 Thin LAN

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Feb 21 13:02:15 CST 2020

> On Feb 21, 2020, at 1:47 PM, Cameron Kaiser via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> I am using an HP 9000 Series 360 with a "Thin LAN" coax card to run a
>> piece of equipment. The LAN connection is not currently being used.  I'm
>> wondering if it's possible to connect it to a modern ethernet network?
>> If so, what could I do with it? I found an adapter on Amazon. I would
>> like to be able to transfer files and possibly print.  The file systems
>> are not compatible except for maybe ASCII files.  Anyone have any
>> thoughts?  Even if I could transfer files into another HP 9000 system it
>> would be beneficial.
>
> Thinnet is "just Ethernet." All you need is some sort of transceiver to
> connect it, and many old hubs have Thinnet ports right on them (my trusty
> 10baseT Allied Telesyn hub has such a port).

I think I have the same model.

One other possibility, just in case you have that kind of gear: if you have any classic (thick Ethernet) transceivers, you can connect a thick Ethernet cable to a thin one.  Just use an N to BNC adapter (barrel, not T connector as some fools at the magazine RSTS Professional did years ago).  You'd apply the thinwire cable length and station count limits, in the unlikely event it matters.  Terminate at each end (of the whole cable assembly) as always.  Both cables are 50 ohms, which is sufficient (the differences in cable loss and propagation velocity are irrelevant).

	paul