when was memory "above" the terminal screen invented?

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Mon Dec 14 04:50:42 CST 2020

On 12/13/2020 10:10 PM, Frank McConnell via cctalk wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2020, at 18:37, Stan Sieler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First, apologies if I asked this years ago (I've searched my archives, no
>> hits :)
>>
>> When was the concept of memory "above" the screen invented for terminals?
>>
>> I.e., previously displayed data that had scrolled up and off the screen ...
>> but could be retrieved (usually by scrolling down).
> Printing terminals.  Just pull the printed paper up from where it has fallen
> behind your Teletype or DECwriter or Silent 700 or Terminet.
I know you're trying to be cute because I believe the "page" wasn't
paper the OP was referring to.

However the Microdata Scribe, which was done by an engineer who later
worked on a dot matrix printer for Data Products and manufactured in
Irvine had reverse paper motion.

You could align the paper, set the page size which would logically fix
the printer, and then control the motion over the page as needed.

It could print anywhere on the 14" platten w/o extra motion, so it was
able to quickly move around the page doing either graphic printing, line
printing which emulated a plotter, or print characters as needed.

Not related to scroll back or paper motion it had a really powerful font
support mechanism.  All of this was done when memory became cheap and
reliable enough that you could have more than just display memory and a
smidge of ram for a display processor in the terminal.

I didn't see the functions of the Scribe duplicated in any other printer
in the price or performance class.

The other thing that is nice about the printer is that it used the same
OEM head that the TI 8xx series printers did, so you could buy them very
economically in the day, the ribbons were the same and cheap.  Today
they still are among the most common NOS around for such parts.

I bought the optional keyboard, so I had a KSR printing terminal and
could scroll back with the printer.  It was essentially equivalent to
the DEC LA printers, but the scroll back could be done from the keyboard.
thanks
Jim