Help needed identifying old MFM drives from the excavation

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Dec 7 21:07:42 CST 2020

On 12/07/2020 03:45 PM, Tom Owad via cctalk wrote:
> I have a Bryant platter on the wall of my office, but I’m
> not old enough to have seen it operational. 39” diameter,
> 1/4” thick, made of magnesium. It came out of Collins
> Radio Company in Cedar Rapids, IA.
I have a 30" platter from an old accounting machine.  I
think it had 64 fixed heads.  I did some experiments with it
but decided the data capacity was so low that it was not
worth spending time trying to cobble up a controller.  it is
possible the data rate could be increased quite a bit, but
maybe the heads flew so high, or had such wide gaps that it
couldn't be pushed.

Jon