Looking for an IDE simulator

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Aug 28 13:32:54 CDT 2020

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 11:41 AM Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 8/28/20 10:10 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>
> > SD is a packet based storage device on a serial interconnect
> You really do need SMART monitoring on solid-state storage
> which may or may not exist in the adapters. SSDs will silently
> fail if they run out of sectors to write to.

For the PATA to SATA adapters, they exist to the extent the SSD supports
them. Smart here is not standardized... but smartmontools has a big enough
database to keep you happy...

> Also, I discovered recently that there is a maximum number of hours
> measured in years on SSDs and systems will start throwing SMART
> errors when that is exceeded. I have a few doing that now on systems
> with minimal writes but lots of hours.

Interesting...  I have several SSDs in the field now that have been powered
on for 7 or 8 years...  I've not yet seen this behavior, though I do see a
few of them die every month due to old age....

> There are long discussions elsewhere of the dangers of using non-industrial
> rated CFs and SDs in storage applications.

Yes. "Only as good as the card you put in." and most of the cards are poo.
Though the latter-day CF cards tend to be quite good since they are for
high end cameras and tend to use relatively good quality NAND to get the
performance those cameras need, endurance goes along for the ride. Most of
the issues with CF and SD cards are in continuous use, though, where
there's lots of writes and not much idle time for the card to do anything
about it and power failures are a lot more common on CF/SD cards with high
write loads than for SSDs...

Warner