Network gear that supported StarLAN 1 (not 10)

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Wed Aug 19 21:55:02 CDT 2020

I was wondering if anybody remembers which networking vendors supported
StarLAN 1, or 802.3e / 1Base5, back in the 1980s? Hoping to get product
names and/or model numbers.

I've come across some references to Western Digital, Micom-Interlan,
Cross Comm Corp (Massachusetts), and Fox Research (later DCA?) possibly
having offered products to bridge StarLAN to Ethernet. But in the few
cases where I've seen a model (ex. Cross Comm 487 Series) I haven't been
able to get past blurbs in Info World.

I have one host interface, expect more to arrive shortly, and would love
to track down a bridge/switch/router that might allow me to make them
reachable from Ethernet.

Thanks,
--Steve.