pdp11/84 PMI memory: What is the problem with Q bus?

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Thu Apr 23 19:51:14 CDT 2020

Oh I'm using an MTI MQD13 card as my disk controller. It is a MCSP
controller that can interface up to 4 ESDI drives to Q Bus. Pretty fast.

Just checked the configuration and block mode DMA *is* off. Wonder what
happens if I turn it on...

It does have a lot of knobs to fiddle with, so maybe I can figure out
what works and what does not for these memory boards. Experimentation!

   DMA CHARACTERISTICS:                         DRIVE 2... ESDI
         BLOCKMODE............ OFF                FIRST LOGICAL...... 002
         BURST LENGTH (WORDS).  16                SECOND LOGICAL..... 006
         THROTTLE............. ON                 DRIVE 3... ESDI
         DWELL us.............  1.6               FIRST LOGICAL...... 003
                                                  SECOND LOGICAL..... 007
     SEEK MODE................ OVERLAPPED
         SEEK OPTIMIZATION.... ELEVATOR       COMMAND QUEUE.......... 008
         FAIRNESS VALUE....... 016