Odd punched cards

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Apr 23 14:56:01 CDT 2020

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> Aperture cards (piece of 35mm micro-film mounted in card)
> (As opposed to Emmanuel Goldberg's "Rapid Selector", or Vannevar Bush's
> "Memex")

Goldberg's "Statistical machine" (Zeiss Ikon in Dresden, USA patent in
1931) was the use of light and photocells to identify frames of microfilm.
Google Michael Buckland for lots more!
http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~buckland/goldbush.html
Maurer soundtracks for movies had up to 8 parallel variable width optical
tracks.  Microfilm with 8 bit parallel metadata would be cool.

Much better known, Vannevar Bush's proposed/imaginary "Memex" ("As We May
Think" 1945, Atlantic Monthly) was based on it, without attribution.
"Few of his ideas were original"
Bush disliked organization of information, particularly hierarchical, so
he wanted "trails" from one article to another.

Ted nelson credits Bush with the idea that inspired hypertext.

Tim Berners-Lee credits Ted Nelson for the idea that inspired WWW.