Grinnell Systems

Tapley, Mark B. mark.tapley at swri.org
Thu Apr 23 08:46:26 CDT 2020

I’m fairly sure there was one at University of Texas Center for Space Research, circa 1980 (+/- a year or 4). It would have been in a separate room from the PDP-11 I normally used. I got to “fly” a space-suit with a manned maneuvering unit around a wire-frame space shuttle representation on it for about 3 minutes. I turned upside down, and everyone thought I was out of control, but I sailed right in through the cargo bay air-lock door as planned. The author of the sim shrugged, and commented, “I guess in space, nobody knows if you are upside down."