Great, my VT52 is shot.

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Tue Apr 21 09:57:52 CDT 2020

Well I'm starting to walk through this. First I took an IR picture of
the boards in operation, then started troubleshooting.

First I started checking voltages. J2 is easily accessible so I put a
ground probe on pin 10, and checked voltages as follows:

J2-3 Should be -5v, reading -3.8v
J2-2 Should be -12v reading -15v
J2-4 Should be 5v, reading 5.04v
J1-10 Should be 15v reading 14.84

Hm. That's odd. Looks like the negative voltages are a bit off.

According to the schematic the key transistor on the 5v rail is Q6,
which is a 2n3055. The key transistor on +15 is Q10 and that circuit
looks ok. However whatever is running the -5 and -12 volts is not
working right.... Looks like Q12 is the key power transistor there with
E2 serving as the control.

Hm....