cctalk Digest, Vol 67, Issue 6

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Tue Apr 7 08:00:09 CDT 2020

Indeed. My dad worked at Bell labs in the 1970's and when I was in third
grade he brought home a TRS80 Model 1 Level 1 to do work on. It had a
game on cassette called space war or something that I always wanted to
play but he had to load it. Finally he taught me how to CLOAD to get me
out of his hair so I could play it.

When I got bored I found the other game he had for it on cassette:
"Introduction to programming". And that night my parents came into the
living room to find me running my first program: Termites. Which would
fill the screen then randomly turn off pixels to simulate termites
eating your house down....

Got better from there. But I still value basic for the quick use of MID$
and Len(x$) to quickly parse strings of text.

CZ