State of New Jersey needs COBOL programmers

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Apr 5 15:37:11 CDT 2020

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, geneb wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure he said that about BASIC, and I'm totally bummed he died
>> before I could bitch slap him over it. ;)
>
> well, close.
> His BASIC quote is:
> "It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have
> had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally
> mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."

That doesn't explain the millions of kids that got their start in BASIC
and grew up to learn skills that could wipe the floor with him...

> Here is one copy of his 1975 paper, "How Do We Tell Truths That Might Hurt":
> https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html

The problem is that it's not a "truth", it's horseshit, plain and simple.
People that think so much of themselves that they consider their opinions
to have the weight of fact just make me froth at the mouth. :)

> I don't know what language(s), if any, that he liked.

Then he should have sat down, shut up, and let the adults talk. ;)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007