looking for a program - last gasp questions

Bob Smith bobsmithofd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 11:55:09 CDT 2019

are you thinking of conquest?
https://github.com/jtrulson/conquest

conquest

Conquest is a top-down, real time space warfare game. It was
originally written in RATFOR for the VAX/VMS system in 1983 by Jef
Poskanzer and Craig Leres.

I spent incredible amounts of time playing this game with my friends
in the terminal labs at college, and when I actually had a multi-user
system running at home (Unixware) I decided to try and translate/port
the code to C in Unix. This was in the early to mid 1990's.

Of course, over the years many things have changed. Today, Conquest is
a true client/server game. The client uses freeglut, SDL 2.0 (for
sound) and OpenGL. It uses C++11 to build, though for now it's "C
software with some C++ containers and constructs".

The curses client is no longer provided.