I apparently have Spacewar for Unix?

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Tue Oct 15 09:51:02 CDT 2019

While dumping lispm tapes, I found one with a label saying "Read it into DRAL" (may be "DRAC"?) "and sent a message to cap's bboard saying where it can be found. -Bob”. There was another paper label that had fallen off. What I think is the label in question was later found in the bottom of the box, a strip of masking tape saying “SPACEWAR FOR VAX (Unix?)”. The contents are a 136KB tar archive containing source to a program called “orbit”, all files are dated August 22nd, 1983.

The README file follows:
——
        To install orbit:

1. Do a 'make all'.
2. Make sure the directories on the path /usr/games/lib/orbit/*
        all exist and are writable by you (except /usr, of course).
3. Do a 'make install'.

This should work with no changes on Berkeley 4.2, unless the
structure for the console keyboard buffer has been changed.
The crock that reads the up-down codes here should be changed
to use the real ROM-table hooks, anyway.  Unfortunately, all
that nice stuff is in protected memory.

        Enjoy!
        - Bob Bane (bane.umcp-cs at UDel-Relay)
——