Scanning docs for bitsavers

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 27 10:12:34 CST 2019

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>> That's what I use too; it has tons of useful features, including being able
>> to drive my single-sided page-feed scanner and being able to number the
>> even-sided pages correctly. The one I use for this is the 'batch mode'; I
>> can
>> do the entire document into CCITT 4 in one operation.
>
>   For scanning software, I highly recommend VueScan:
>
> https://www.hamrick.com/
>
>   There are Linux, Windows and Mac versions, and it supports thousands of
> scanner models, including some very old ones. VueScan can also do CCITT G4
> compression, and directly create PDF files. If you but the pro version,
> updates are free. I've been using it for years.

My recommendation: use a proper multi-function copier (the big copiers)
that can also scan to network. I currently use our big Konica-Minolta
bizhub 754. Although it'a b/w copier, it can also scan in color. This
machine scans a two-sided page without flipping the paper, resolution
600dpi, color/bw, and I scan to TIFF multipage images (sometimes I use
JPEG for color pages). No problems scanning a batch of A3 schematics ;-)

Then I use tumble (either directly on the generated .tif or after
tiffsplit and rearranging pages) and ocrmypdf to produce the PDF file.
I guess my setup is much faster than Al's ;-)))

Christian