3270 controller simulation

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 15:59:28 CST 2019

Yes that’s in there....

> > Above that we have the channel protocols, HDLC/SDLC and bi-sync polling.
>
> ACK
>
> IMHO both the physical (L1 in OSI terms) and protocol (L2) are decidedly locally
> significant and probably mostly agnostic to the higher layer network.

BiSync polling gets in the way at the top....

> > Then we may have SNA (which encompasses many options) to transport the
> > data through the network.
>
> I am guessing that SNA is mostly agnostic to the lower protocols and worries
> more about data movement across one or more lower layer network links.

Sadly no. If we are talking VTAM rather than TCAM then the layers are somewhat ill defined. From

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse.cgi?fn=HUMOR91&ft=MEMO&args=sna+joke#hit

April Foolishness
==============

We present here fanciful ideas and interpretations related
to VM, IBM, and computing in general.

o Networking breakthrough:  for those  days when your   cooperative applications won't,  IBM introduces APPS
  (Advanced Program-to-Program Squabbling). This brings the   confusion and disruption of incompatible computers and
  unspecified interfaces to the farthest reaches of an   enterprise's network.

Append on 03/30/88 at 17:40 by Jean Rall Grumman Data Systems 516-575-7140:

Thought I'd pass this on;

Conversation between a caller and John Akers:
CALLER:  Hello, John?
AKERS:   Yes?
CALLER:  John Akers?
AKERS:   Yes?
CALLER:  John F. Akers?
AKERS:   Yeah?
CALLER:  John F. Akers, CEO for IBM?
AKERS:   Yes, what is it?
CALLER:  John F. Akers, CEO for IBM in Armonk?
AKERS:   Yes, that's right, what do you want?
CALLER:  John F. Akers, CEO for IBM in Armonk, ...?
    (etc. for a few more exchanges)
AKERS:   All right, enough!  What is going on here?!
CALLER:  Oh, not much John.  Just thought you would like to know what it
         is like to talk over SNA.

*** APPENDED 03/30/88 17:40:44 BY GDS/JEAN ***

And from

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse.cgi?fn=HUMOR88&ft=MEMO&args=sna+joke+connection#hit

Append on 03/30/88 at 17:40 by Jean Rall Grumman Data Systems 516-575-7140:

Thought I'd pass this on;

Conversation between a caller and John Akers:
CALLER:  Hello, John?
AKERS:   Yes?
CALLER:  John Akers?
AKERS:   Yes?
CALLER:  John F. Akers?
AKERS:   Yeah?
CALLER:  John F. Akers, CEO for IBM?
AKERS:   Yes, what is it?
CALLER:  John F. Akers, CEO for IBM in Armonk?
AKERS:   Yes, that's right, what do you want?
CALLER:  John F. Akers, CEO for IBM in Armonk, ...?
    (etc. for a few more exchanges)
AKERS:   All right, enough!  What is going on here?!
CALLER:  Oh, not much John.  Just thought you would like to know what it
         is like to talk over SNA.

*** APPENDED 03/30/88 17:40:44 BY GDS/JEAN ***

Seriously the SNA Bind is an animal to reckoned with.  I haven't included the SNA manuals, but if you are suffering from insomnia you may wish to browse...

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/sna/GC20-1869-2_SNA_Introduction_to_Sessions_Between_Logical_Units_Dec79.pdf

> > At the top the protocols and frame formats in the Data Streams manual
> > which are broadly the same but with tweaks for SNA, Local and Bi-Sync.
>
> Is this where APPN / APPC and the likes come into play?  Actual application
> information riding on top of SNA?

Well sort of. APPN/APPC is deeply integrated in SNA. See above...

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

Dave