3270 controller simulation

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Mon Nov 18 15:36:40 CST 2019

On 11/18/19 2:22 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> You can say that again.  We never could get HASP running on out 11-750
> on BSD.  This was about 1984.   The Berkeley Systems Group even tried
> and no soap.    This was a leased line setup with Bell 209 modems.

"…HASP…" MVS / OS/390 / z/OS term.
"…on our 11-750…" that sounds like a VAX term (11/750).

Brain:  Wait a minute.  These are different ecosystems.  Yes, they are
supposed to be able to communicate, but is that what we're really
talking about here?

"…Berkeley Systems Group…" that's decidedly BSD, like on a VAX (11/750).
"…leased line…" ecosystem agnostic, but common in IBM.
"…Bell 209 modems…" fits with my understanding of leased lines.

Brain:  Yep, it looks like we're crossing ecosystems.

Chuck, I think you are the first person that I've heard / read about
with direct exposure to HASP on non-IBM platforms.  I've heard / read
that it's supposed to be possible.  But I've not had first hand accounts
before.  Now I have.  Thank you.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die