Question about modems

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Wed Nov 13 11:39:06 CST 2019

On 11/13/2019 5:31 AM, Nigel Johnson via cctalk wrote:
> I actually have an original Hayes 300 modem. Would it be any use if I
> could set it up for a a test, or would it need another genuine Hayes
> one to talk to for what you need?

I looked at the SmartModem 300.  It looks like it completely detected
the speed and parity internal to the unit.  If you have a manual or a
link ot one to validate, I think that would suffice. If it did do that,
then it would have reconfigured itself to match the terminal and thus
all communication would be in the same format (8N1, 7E1, etc).

I did a quick check for an online manual, but my Google-fu is weak today.

Jim