HP/UX 8 and hosts vs DNS

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Mon May 27 11:27:26 CDT 2019

On 5/26/19 11:25 PM, Cameron Kaiser via cctalk wrote:
> Irrelevant here, because it's a BIND 4 server on the other end too
> (on purpose since I have other older systems that need it). HP/UX 8
> is also BIND 4.

ACK

> That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure when to do this. By the
> time I actually get a root prompt, nslookup says it's already checking
> hosts and refuses to do otherwise.

I have no idea what sort of sniffers exist(ed) for HP-UX.  But based on
timing, it sounds like you need something off box.

I keep an old hub around just for things like this.  Machine in
question, uplink, and the sniffer.  Then I start tcpdump or wireshark on
the sniffer before booting the machine in question.

I've learned to trust the bits on the wire.  At least until I have
something to suggest that they are corrupted.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die