Raised Floors

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed May 22 10:41:31 CDT 2019

On 5/22/19 9:08 AM, Patrick Finnegan via cctalk wrote:
> Purdue's insurer REQUIRES fire sprinklers in data centers.

Both of the data centers / raised floors in my office have fire
sprinklers.  I don't know if they lines are charged or dry.  (I'll inquire.)

The local fire department does a walk through spot check quarterly (if
not more frequent b/c we give them lunch in our cafeteria) and annual
full inspection of the fire detection and suppression system.

I also know for a fact that the DCs do have plumbing under the raised
floor because I've heard talk about an automatic drain flush system that
was historically used.  (I'm not sure it's used any more.)  I've also
heard the maintenance crew talk about taking five gallon buckets of
water into the DC to manually flush drains.

I've also heard of not infrequent stories of condensation from
(overhead) air ducts dripping in the DC.

There's also the occasional leak during a heavy storm where non-trivial
amounts of water come in through said duct work.

I've got a different horror story from a job 20 years ago where water
would seep through the sidewalk onto an old IBM mainframe.  They kept
plastic up most of the time and had drip trays with drain connections
that sat on top of equipment.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die