Pleas ID this IBM system....

Lawrence Wilkinson ljw-cctech at ljw.me.uk
Mon May 20 15:30:18 CDT 2019

On 20/05/2019 18:42, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> The model 20 installations that I played with were mostly to supplant
> unit-record gear, which typically did not use a raised floor
> configuration.  Mostly the CPU, card mulcher, printer and perhaps a 2311.
>
> The installation auctioned off is one of the larger Model 20 setups that
> I've seen.
>
> --Chuck

As Adam isn't on the list, and I am one of those in that photograph...

There was one 360/20 (pink) that was cabled up with 2 x 2311 disk, 2 x
2415 tape, 2560 MFCM and (I think) the 1403 printer. That system appears
to have been in use at that site. The second 360/20 (blue) was not
cabled to anything, and the 370/125 (yellow) likewise. So I expect
neither of those was used at all.

It can't have been a serious commercial installation, but maybe it was a
keen hobbyist who acquired the systems and decided to keep them running,
or perhaps used as a training tool. It apparently hasn't been used for
30+ years.

The "raised floor" was in a sorry state, the heavy units had sunk into
the soft wood panels. I guess the framing might have been useful.

It was good that all the punch cards required seem to be there and in
good condition: the Control Program (microcode) cards for the /20, RPG,
BAL etc. These need to be read - I know there are services that will
process scans, but is there anywhere (UK/Europe) that can take the
physical cards and give us back files?

The guys did a wonderful job, especially on that last day when they
managed to move most of the units and clear everything out. As
mentioned, the /20 CPUs and 2415 master unit were 500-600kg each and
about the limit of the tail-lift.

If anything I've written here is contradicted by anything in the blog,
believe the blog! https://ibms360.co.uk

Lawrence Wilkinson                                 lawrence at ljw.me.uk
The IBM 360/30 page                       http://www.ljw.me.uk/ibm360