Pleas ID this IBM system....

Patrick Finnegan pat at vax11.net
Mon May 20 11:40:59 CDT 2019

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 12:11 PM William Donzelli <wdonzelli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I guess it would look right for the era, but I'd never build a data
> center
> > with raised flooring after my experiences with them.  It's such a pain to
> > work with compared to a sealed concrete floor and overhead cable trays.
>
> But with a raised floor, you can whack the tile puller down in such a
> way that it makes an enormously loud pop that startles everyone in the
> datacenter!

A good data center is loud enough that no one can hear that. :)

> I cannot imagine difficult it would be to run S/360 era cables in
> overhead trays. Many are an inch or more in diameter.

I've run lots of (heavy) 6/4 SOOW power cord on overhead cable trays, and
it is a pain, but it's way easier than pulling up half of the tiles in a
data center to figure out where the cable you're trying to pull is tangled,
just to find it stuck barely out of reach under the middle of some
production equipment.

An acceptable compromise is something like the 6 ft raised floor they have
over at NCSA.  But the typical 12" raised floors I've had to deal with
are... unpleasant.

Pat