Network cards and Win98SE

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Tue May 14 14:04:07 CDT 2019

Perhaps this discussion would be a good candidate for private email?

> On May 14, 2019 at 1:58 PM Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> On 5/14/19 12:16 PM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> > No, not really. The OP was trying to get wifi working on Win98. That's
> > not the same thing.
>
> The letter of what the OP wanted was WiFi. I took the spirit of what
> the OP wanted was network.
> > You jumped to a conclusion.
>
> No I did not.
>
> I responded to comment where someone else said "you may want to consider
> … using a cheap wifi-equipped micro as a network bridge".
>
> I stated "IMHO the OPZ would be functioning as what I think are commonly
> called 'gaming adapters'. It functions as the wireless client to
> connect the wired Ethernet client." The key points being:
>  - "IMHO" meaning in my humble opinion - "functioning as" meaning doing the same / similar thing as - "what I /think/" as in what I believe but could be wrong about - "commonly called" as in not always - "it functions as a wireless client to connect the wired Ethernet
> client." as in it's a way to connect a wired only device to a wireless
> network.
> > Then, you declared, rudely, the OP that they should buy something,
>
> How does "OPZ would be functioning as" translate to the OP should buy
> something?
> > by repeatedly, derisively, using a name that might be meaningful to
> > millennial gamers,
>
> Many of the people in my community are decidedly outside of the
> millennial gamers group and know what a gaming adapter is.
>
> I have no idea what age range people on this mailing list are—I honestly
> don't care—but I strongly suspect that more people now know what a
> gaming adapter is than did so before the start of this thread.
> > but is _not_ to a bunch of old-timer high-level techies.
>
> Please don't conflate age with level of techies.
>
> I've worked with all four combinations of the binary young / old vs
> techie / non-techie.
> > Also, your idea meant going out and spending money on something new,
>
> No, it did not.
> > when this is a community of people who you could reasonably expect to
> > favour the approach of doing something difficult but functional with
> > existing tech that they already own.
>
> That's one of the reasons that I enjoy this community. I re-use things
> for different purposes all the time. I enjoy seeing how others solve
> their problems.
> > You told someone who is trying to do something on a 20-25 year old OS
> > in order that they can connect to a 40 year old OS, that they should be
> > buying a peripheral for a games console.
>
> No I did not.
> > [1] You did not "suggest". You hectored, rudely.
>
> I disagree.
>
> I was not intend to be rude. I apologize to anyone that thought I was rude.
> > [2] You did not _explain_ that. You just repeated some buzzword phrase
> > nobody else here knows.

> [...]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." --  Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"The names of global variables should start with    // "  -- https://isocpp.org