Greetings

Greg Stark stark at mit.edu
Wed May 8 21:47:56 CDT 2019

I'm just guessing here but I would suspect this had more to do with the
hardware capabilities of the tape system.

Not all tape drives could just pause to wait for more data then resume. If
the data wasn't being steamed fast enough the tape would have to resync
somehow which could even require rewinding and it's possible that was
either unsupported or just unreliable