Modern Rack Rails in Classic Racks?

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Thu May 2 00:23:57 CDT 2019

On 4/29/2019 7:20 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
> the system temperatures. My plan is to keep the 24x7 servers as low to the ground as possible. Stuff that gets powered of “when needed”, can go higher up in the rack. The one exception will be if I put the MicroVAX III with RA7x drives into the rack, like I’m threatening to. Those would probably be forced to go in the bottom.
> Zane

That's what I had to do with my rack (see other email).  The HP C3000 is a 6U high blade chassis and heavy when loaded so it had to go right above the two UPS (also heavy).  This gives a nice, low center of gravity.  I hope the tape drives higher for less bending over when doing tape manipulations.  The network switch, router and affiliated items also go high for the same reason.

Perhaps, in hindsight, I should have had electric and network run to the garage, but with Texas summers and no A/C I wouldn't be able to run anything a good number of months.  I do miss my Ohio basement.  Basements in the DFW area are few and far between due to the type of soil around here.

--
John H. Reinhardt