Byte Magazine

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Fri Mar 29 14:47:56 CDT 2019

On 3/29/2019 12:18 PM, Hagstrom, Paul wrote:

> Perhaps an obvious thing to say, but I'm sure others who have encountered this would appreciate your efforts if you were to re-scan these things or convert existing scans from the format you are having difficulty with into a format that is less proprietary.

I am using a PDF reader ( B&W ) that runs android 4.2. I need a DATABOOK
for say a 74H00 I got it.
Other books I am less lucky with. Right now I am looking modifying the
Small C compiler from Dr Dobbs for the homebrew computer I have (living
now on a DE1 FPGA card) . A nice 10/20 bit cpu but non standard to check
the old back issues for finer details.

> There are definitely scans out there that would be better if they were made today or even made with more care.  Some things could use re-scanning.
>
> Nevertheless, I appreciate the fairly significant amount of effort that went into scanning things originally, particularly when scanners were worse, computers were slower, and disk space was expensive.  I am not angry at them for not doing a bunch more work than they actually already did.

Well CD roms have been around a long time, so archiving data was never a
problem.

The real problem was
all the libraries dumping the older books for the latest windows95 c++
or Microsoft application. They are not online. Google will find a lot
books for 2018 but very few from 1975.

I am looking for bare metal OS right now, I just finished the I/O for SD
card and burned the eeproms on the DE1 card. The hardware has more than
32KB of memory  but I would like see if I can get the small c compiler
in 24KB of memory with a 8Kb OS.

Ben.