Byte Magazine

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 13:08:30 CDT 2019

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 19:01, ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I have been trying to read the Dr Dobbs PDF scans and a few other PDF's.
> They seem to work only with the NAME BRAND pdf reader. Of course I use
> the OTHER brand.

Since you don't name names, I can't directly comment. We don't know
what OS you're running.

If you have a Mac, then you can get Adobe Reader for it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/install-reader-dc-mac-os.html

If you run Windows, well, I favour FOSS so I use Sumatra:

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

Failing that, there's Foxit which is relatively light:

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

On Linux, where I use XFCE, I favour Xreader as it has a traditional
UI rather than the modern GNOME weirdness:

https://github.com/linuxmint/xreader/

Original Adobe Acrobat Reader is still available and still works, though.

I no longer use KDE but I hear Okular is good:

https://okular.kde.org/

The reason I sometimes install the real Adobe thing on my Mac and my
Linux machines is that it seems to cope with fancy stuff such as
embedded 3D models, forms which must be filled in, stuff like that.

For just reading, I find FOSS viewers fine.