Old Macs available

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Mar 11 18:49:26 CDT 2019

> On Mar 11, 2019, at 3:20 PM, nospam212-cctalk--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> 1) Macintosh SE/30 - Appears to have some expansion card of some sort inside with with a 15 pin connector and what I think was a BNC connector?

15 pin connector combined with BNC connector suggests it might be an Ethernet card -- original 10 Mb/s.  The 15 pin connector would be the AUI (transceiver) connector.  If the connector has a slide latch (to engage turret posts that take the place of the more common locking screws) that would be a pretty solid sign it's Ethernet.  If so, the BNC connector should be insulated ground (plastic sleeve around the connector body so it doesn't contact the computer's chassis).

The easiest way to connect such a device to current equipment is to find a 10BaseT transceiver.  Any 10/100 switch should talk to that, and compliant Gigabit Ethernet devices will too (since the standard calls for them to go all the way back to 10 Mb/s) though I would be less confident of that in the real world.

	paul