Wanting to get my first classic computer

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jun 19 09:31:53 CDT 2019

    > From: Ray Jewhurst

    > I would really like to get my own classic computer but I don't know
    > where to begin.

Two questions you need to sort out in your mind, to decide, are i) do you
want something with a bit-mapped video screen, or are you happy with ASCII
serial line only, and ii) what are you prepared to do for mass storage.

E.g. if you really want video, you're probably looking at something like a
VAXStation or so; if ASCII will do you, a QBUS PDP-11 might be a good
start, as with patience eBay can yield a cheap chassis, CPU etc (although
in the last year or so the really cheap stuff seems to have dried up,
alas).

	Noel