VAX ODT console fault

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Jun 12 10:22:09 CDT 2019

On 06/12/2019 03:41 AM, r.stricklin via cctalk wrote:
> If I install a spare KA630-A and 8 MB memory board, I get a similar fault where chevrons repeat to infinity.
There are a couple possibilities.  If the baud rate is set
wrong, the VAX could be replying to some gibberish at wrong
baud rate, that causes the terminal to reply to that with
something, and they endlessly jabber at each other.  Most
terminals will send Xoff/Xon when a rapid burst of
characters comes into the Rx port.  When misinterpreted by
the VAX, that might cause it to send another burst of
characters.  So, it could be entirely a software/setup issue.

Are you using a real terminal or a PC terminal program?  If
a program, you might try a different one or try different
comm settings.

As someone else mentioned, a leaking battery could have
damaged traces or the baud selector switch on the panel
interface module. Close inspection of that is strongly advised.

Jon