HP9816 PAL16L8

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 12:54:49 CDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:50 PM Paul Berger via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> The process documented above is essentially the process I started last
> night, but in my case I used a GPIO in my HP 9000-332 to cycle through
> the inputs and record the output.  It is very handy to have general
> purpose parallel I/O for purposes like this.  In this case the number of
> possible states is reduced as two of the inputs are permanently tied
> high.  I am well on my well to developing logic equations to feed into
> palasm to generate a new JEDEC file which I can then burn into a GAL and
> test to see if it is correct.

I have just remembered something that I guess you realised some time
back...

The 16L8 allows you to tri-state outputs under logic control (I think there's
one AND term for the output control of each output). I suspect this is used
in ths PAL, certainly for things like DMAR0 and DMARdy which go onto the
backplane connector (and thus could also be driven by another board).

You'll not spot problems with those signals in a 9816 unless you have a DMA
controller board in one of the DIO slots, but...

-tony