11/70 - original or 570 model more desirable?

Nigel Williams nw at retrocomputingtasmania.com
Thu Jan 31 00:49:47 CST 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 2:49 PM Bill Degnan via cctech <
cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Random question
> would you prefer having, if you had to pick only one, the original PDP
> 11/70 or the newer "blue cabinets" PDP 11/70, ...

I think the decdatasystem 570 is pretty, but coloured like an ice-cream
parlour.

I prefer the darker motif of the standard 11/70 posed with a string of RP06
drives, much like the original cover of the PDP-11/70 processor handbook, I
think that remains iconic for the "biggest" PDP-11 (biggest for the SSI
logic implementations of the mid-1970s).