sun 88780 on ebay

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Mon Jan 28 19:19:37 CST 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 14:04:42 -0800
Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/132933407806
>
> this is interesting because of the price and that all of the Sun
> drives I've ever come across had the 800bpi option in them

That's been my experience, too. The 88780 I use is a Sun drive with
800/1600/6250.

What I love about these drives is that each track is adjustable
electronically for skew - which means one can adjust it to read
incorrectly skewed tapes without having to adjust/move the tape head!
(Of course, you have to re-adjust it "back" to normal - which makes it
something you want to do only when absolutely necessary).

I only wish the 88780's tape handling was a bit more "gentle"...

Cheers,
Lyle
--
73   NM6Y