PDP-11 ID page, a few images needed

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jan 23 19:43:43 CST 2019

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 5:37 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> working on a page to help scrappers identify PDP-11's, and give them an idea
> what to look for. I have it _mostly_ done:
>
>  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/pdp11/PDP-11_Models.html
>
> Comments/error-checking etc welcome. Also, I still need images of a few
> things: -11/60 and -11/94 front consoles, the original LSI-11 card, the
> KDJ11-E, and most of the DEC QBUS boxes.  (Yeah, I could try looking for free
> images, I've been busy!)
>
> Any help gratefully received!
>
>    Noel

Google "pdp11/60" turns up some good pictures, one showing the console panel closeup is from a UK computer museum.

The 11/44 picture is a bit strange looking because the innards show through the perforated panel, which is probably not how it would be perceived by most observers when just looking at one.  The same goes for the 11/24.  It seems like a problem caused by taking the photo with flash; lit by ambient light it would probably look better.

PDP11/84 and I think 94 also can be found on the cover of some of the Handbooks in Bitsavers.

A variant of the LSI-11 is the H-11 sold by Heathkit.  Is that actually the same board?  Either way it would be worth mentioning.

Do you want to show the PRO system boards?  And maybe the I/O boards?  Those both are quite different looking, especially the I/O boards with their odd connector and differing number scheme.  (PRO boards are marked with the ROM ID number, a 16-bit value shown in 6 octal digits.)

In the discussion of boards, you might mention that "FLIP CHIP" often appears (on older boards?  All boards?  Many boards regardless of age?).  And there will be a "digital" logo, the 7-box kind.  And the handles are either plastic or metal as shown, but either way always have a module number on them.  If it looks like one of those cards but doesn't have a module number, or it's a large logic board with a white handle, it's probably from some other company though it may well be a DEC-compatible board.

The "Miscellaneous Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-11 Information" link lands me on a "Forbidden" error page.

	paul