PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 08:14:58 CST 2019

> On Jan 14, 2019, at 3:18 AM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Got to work on this problem a little more this weekend.  Worked up some simple standalone diagnostics to map and test all the memory on my 256K MS11-P.  Sure enough, I’m seeing some stuck bits at various addresses in physical address range 700000-757777.
>
> Need to clean up the diagnostics a bit and add some reporting for a complete picture of what’s going on, but there’s definitely a smoking gun here...
>
>  --FritzM.

Great, that certainly fits the symptoms.

With RSTS, if there is a specific (and not too large) chunk of memory that is bad, you can instruct it to ignore that memory.  In INIT DEFAULT, memory options, use the LOCK command.  You then specify the memory to ignore as a kW address, or range (like 120k-124k).  You can use the lock command multiple times to lock multiple ranges.

	paul