Anyone want an irman (Infrared to serial dongles)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Jan 8 18:29:19 CST 2019

On 1/8/19 3:05 PM, David Brownlee via cctalk wrote:
> While tidying up I've found a few Irman infrared to serial dongles
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20060314052558/http://www.evation.com/irman/index.html
>
> they connect via a 9 pin serial plug and then convert any consumer
> remote IR signals they receive into serial.

I just posted on github a little project that takes a cheap surplus (my
last ones cost $5 NOS) IBM iPoint IR keyboard and converts it to PS/2
keyboard protocol using a cheap STM32F103 "Blue Pill" and a 3-terminal
38KHz IR receiver.   I'm currently writing the USB version which will
support the "nipple mouse" as well.

The keyboards aren't bad--they're made by Silitek ca. 1992 and have a
decent feel for a rubber dome keyboard.

The point is that with modern MCUs, any IR stuff is easy-peasy.  My
little Chinese LCR tester even reads and displays IR codes.

--Chuck