off topic - capatob - saratov2 computer Russsian pdp8? HELP

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Jan 6 16:56:25 CST 2019

    > From: William Donzelli

    >> in 1980, there were more PDP-11's, world-wide, than any other kind of
    >> computer.

    > I bet the guys at Zilog might have something to talk to you about.

I was quoting my memory of a DEC ad in the WSJ, which now that I go check,
says the -11 was "the best-selling computer in the world" (the ad was in
1980). There are a number of possible explanations as to why it makes this
claim:

- some marketing person made it up
- they were only counting things that were general-purpose (i.e. came with
  mass storage and compilers)
- they didn't consider micros as "computers" (many were used in things like
  printers, etc, and were not usable as general-purpose computers)

Etc, etc.

     Noel