off topic - capatob - saratov2 computer Russsian pdp8? HELP

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun Jan 6 11:42:15 CST 2019

On 1/6/19 7:08 AM, Bob Smith via cctalk wrote:
> What is called the 8 is really based on the 5, used 6-bit bytes, 12 bit
> words, and was Octal based

Is "byte" the correct term for 6-bits?  I thought a "byte" had always
been 8-bits.  But I started paying attention in the '90s, so I missed a lot.

I would have blindly substituted "word" in place of "byte" except for
the fact that you subsequently say "12-bit words".  I don't know if
"words" is parallel on purpose, as in representing a quantity of two
6-bit word.

Will someone please explain what I'm missing that transpired before I
started paying attention in the '90s?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die