PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Sat Jan 5 14:58:44 CST 2019

> On Jan 5, 2019, at 8:07 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Fritz Mueller
>> All the CPU, FPU, KT11, KW11, and RK11 MAINDECS are passing just fine.
>
> Don't forget Vonada Maxim #12:
>  "Diagnostics are highly efficient in finding solved problems.”

Well, there’s wisdom there, for sure! :-)

Last night I also managed to put a new RSTS image, sysgen’d with the non-overlapped DK driver, on a different physical pack.  It behaved exactly the same way on the real hardware (looping, counting up errors) on boot.

So I think now overlapped vs. non-overlapped DK driver is not the issue, and media and image transfer fidelity are not the issue.  A memory or MMU problem would be consistent with what has been seen so far, so I may bark up that tree a little more today.

Paul, any additional suggestions for things to look at in ODT to try and wring out more information on the specifics of the fault?

I did get some MACRO CRC-16 sub-routines coded up last night while waiting for various transfers, so I think I’ll go ahead and finish up the standalone CRC dumper utility today.

Lastly, a 5V-tolerant USB FIFO breakout board is supposed to show up in the mails today.  If that works out as simply as I hope to interface with a DR11-C, I should have a much better way to blast bits on and off the machine soon.

    cheers,
      --FritzM.