Which DEC machine made use of th pre Flip-Chip board?

Rich Alderson RichA at livingcomputers.org
Thu Jan 3 14:48:15 CST 2019

From: Noel Chiappa
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 5:19 AM

>> From: Mattis Lind

>> I cannot figure out which early machine it comes from.

> They're called 'System Modules':

>   http://gunkies.org/wiki/System_Module

> and they were used from the PDP-1 through (I think) the PDP-7; at least, this
> PDP-7 internals image:

>   https://www.soemtron.org/images/jpgs/decimages/sn113robertjohnson85680004.jpg

> seems to show System Modules at the top, and FLIP CHIPs at the bottom. (I'm
> pretty sure even the first PDP-8 - the 'straight 8' - uses only early FLIP
> CHIPs - transistorized ones.)

Noel,

The PDP-7 was the first system produced by DEC which used Flip Chip(TM)
technology, as well as the first to be built using a Gardiner-Denver wirewrap
machine instead of hand soldering.

The System Modules(TM) in the PDP-7 chassis at LCM+L make up the 550 DECtape
control for the 555 DECtape drives.  The controller was common to the PDP-7 and
the earlier PDP-4 (which was of course all System Modules).  They appear in
exactly one place in the entire system.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer