wanted back issues IEEE ANNALS OF THE HISTORY OF COMPUTING bound or unbound... dtop us a line off list please.

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 10:53:15 CST 2019

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019, 4:16 AM Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
wrote:

> At 09:44 AM 31/12/2018 -0800, you wrote:
> >

> >On 12/30/18 5:04 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
> >
> >> It might be helpful to state the policy (or choice, if any) explicitly
> so people know what to expect.
> >>

> >I will return documents if requested.
> >
> >Originals may or may not be donated to CHM for archiving, depending on
> >if they are duplicative or are of duplicative scope.
> >
> >I do not archive any paper myself.
> >
> >Currently, I am being asked to reduce my backlog inside of Shustek
> >and am making some hard choices.
>

> Hopefully those hard choices don't involve dumpstering anything?
>
> Would they be less hard, if you mentioned here what your storage
> difficulties
> involve, and asked if anyone could help with that? Pretty sure you'd find
> willing helpers. Who love silverfish.
> Don't be like ManualsPlus: "Oh my gosh we have 300,000 manuals and one week
> before they have to go to the bin. Err, maybe we should ask for help now."
>

> Reading between your lines above, I gather that once you've scanned
> manuals,
> if CHM don't want them and the donor didn't ask for their return, they are
> disposed of?
>
> Respectfully, I suggest there are better alternatives. Such as offering
> them for
> sale or giveaway. And that you could probably find volunteers to provide
> all
> the required work and temporary storage.
>

> <snip>
>
> Guy

I have a lot of ACM SIGPLAN Notice, event proceedings and "Communications"
in my document library.  Also some DECUS proceedings.  Not too much from
the IEEE.

There is an older website registry of computer preservation hobbyists out
there, listed by interest and location but I don't it's actively managed.
It could be assumed to include document preservation for thise looking for
a home for their docs.  This site has been around since 90's but has been
updated a few times since launch
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/classiccmp/ccrs_list.html

Someone should probably mirror this page or even take it over.

Another possibility ... On the bitsavers website it might be nice to add a
section where people can see what docs are available for pick up/rescue
opportunities.

Personally I limit my doc storage to what I can store in proper
conditions.  No silverfish.  I will even bathe moldy docs under florescent
light as needed, to help control mold.  Too much light hurts the paper so
only what is needed to restabilize.

Personally I am looking for ComputerWorld newspapers from the 60's and
early 70's, People's Computer Company newspapers, and early SIG club
docs... should anyone be looking for a home for these.

Bill