Compaq 9000 Rack Thumb Screw

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sat Feb 23 18:52:19 CST 2019

On 2/23/19 4:16 PM, Ali via cctalk wrote:
> (I assume to give wiggle so it is easier to match screw to cage nut).

I think that thee thumb screws actually mate to the outer rail (shelf)
that the StorageWorks units slide into.  I don't think they actually
mate to cage nuts.

> (I think the screws are press fitted into the metal frame so not really
> user replaceable).

Agreed.

> I don't think there is anything special about the screw and I can
> always use a standard M6 screw for the missing side. However, I'd like
> to try and match/restore the original.

I don't know if they are M5 or M6 threads.

The spring is nice.

The tapered nose to make alignment and starting the threads nicer than a
flat faced screw.  But that's just nice to have and not necessary.

> I have tried googling for theses screws but I am not coming up with the
> right item. I am guessing I am not using the right terms or names for
> the screws. So does anyone have some broken/parts Compaq rack equipment
> where I can have the screws? Or can point me to a source online to get
> a replacement? TIA!

I don't think I've ever seen the screws separate.  I've always seen the
the metal face plate with thee screws sold as a unit.  Try looking for
that on the usual haunts.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die