IBM 3174 C 6.4 Microcode Disks?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Sat Feb 16 22:49:33 CST 2019

Grant,

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 07:36:11PM -0700, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:

> I'm running into collisions with IBM 9121 and mainframe components.
> Even that is vague.  I'm not having nearly the luck I usually do looking
> up IBM four digit model numbers.

The 9121 voice server connected a T1 line to the RS/6000 for use by
DT/6000.  DT/6000 was used to create interactive phone menu systems.

> So you had IP connectivity from Ethernet to Token Ring.  That's trivial
> to do.  The Cisco 2513 would be a very good candidate router to do that.

I suspect wherever I saw the term "bridge" used, it was used in the sense of
providing IP connectivity from token ring to Ethernet, in the same sense
that a physical bridge provides connectivity between two banks of a river.

> I think it's also possible to have (Token Ring or Ethernet) network
> connected clients telnet to and use the 3174 as a gateway to connect to
> ESCON / Bus and Tag machines.

Yes, that's what our RS/6000 was doing.  It connected via token ring to the
3174 and screen scraped 3270 sessions to move data between its phone menu
system and our mainframe.  You might find this interesting:

    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/lan/ZZ78-0355-0_IBM_Token-Ring_Gateways_and_Bridges_Comparisons_and_Recommendations_Nov89.pdf

> If the 2513 you have is the one that was used for this, I'd love to see
> the config, if it's still on there.

I don't have it yet.  If I'm able to get it with its config intact, I'll
share what I can, minus any company specific details.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.