PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Feb 13 08:36:42 CST 2019

    > From: Alan Frisbie

    > I am finding this entire discussion extremely fascinating! Every day I
    > look forward to reading the latest twists in the plot.

:-)

    > The ideas, hunches, tests, dead ends, and results are an excellent
    > example of the debugging process.

Yeah, and it was a Duesie of a problem, too.

Although once we got clear of the bad data from the console and my confusion
about R5, and it became clear that in the Unix failure, the pure text was
being damaged, from that point it was pretty straightforward to track it down
(albeit one that needed detailed understanding of how V6 handled pure texts -
and luckily I'd come to understand that part of the system a bit while getting
the QSIC running).

Fritz's lucky discovery, early on, that it was location dependent was also a
big help.

	Noel