SGI Personal Iris 4D/35

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 21:53:47 CST 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019, 19:02 John Ball via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
wrote:

> Hey Kyle.
> You can narrow things down a bit by removing the optional Z-buffer and
> additional bitplane memory (ZB3 and BP4). While that removes those two
> masses of memory out of the equation that still leaves the still massive
> amount of ZIPP base video memory. for the later Onyx systems I've only seen
> pinstriping when the video memory or supporting glue has been allowed to
> overheat. I can't recall if it tests the graphics as well but have you
> tried
> running the ide diagnostics in case that refines the error a little?
>
> -John

Thanks John. I'll give it a try with the extra memory removed. I noticed
some jumpers on the main graphics board. Will those need to change with the
removal of the extra memory?

Is the IDE the PROM diagnostics? If so, I didn't find it very interactive.
It probably ran for close to 30 minutes without doing much until the error.
Photos of the error are in the album. If there's another suite of tests
other than the confidence tests I can run, please let me know.

Is there a source listing for the PROM monitor? Maybe reviewing the
graphics test code would help me understand how to patch a more useful
error message when the graphics test fails.

Thanks,

Kyle