sun 88780 on ebay

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:24:47 CST 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> Does it have the 800 bpi option board?

I haven't yet unboxed it. I took photos of the outside of the destroyed box
to send to the shipper. The front bottom left corner of the 88780 is
visible through a hole in the box, and is visibly mangled.

I'll take more photos as I unbox it tonight.

Based on the service manual, it appears that option 800 requires:
* buffer PCA 07980-6xx14 (512K) or 07980-6xx34 (1M)
* read/write/formatter PCA 07980-6xx31

Were there any other hardware changes for option 800? If not, one wonders
why HP documentation is adamant that it cannot be field-upgraded to option
800.